Troop 7 History
More than 100
Years of Scouting in Grapevine!
1913, three years after the Boy Scouts of
America was incorporated. Grapevine Mayor Benjamin Richard Wall made
a trip to New York
and brought back with him a legacy for all of
the boys of the Grapevine area: The No. 7 Boy
Scout Unit Charter, one of the first west of
then, Troop 7 Scouts have
accomplished many outstanding achievements;
for instance John Quinn Jr. was on the staff
for a world jamboree, achieved the National
Conservation Medal and was awarded the
National Medal of Merit for Lifesaving.
One our past Scouts was awarded the Medal of Merit Heroism Award.
1923, Troop 7 was chartered in Arlington.
But, moved back to Grapevine In 1931, being
to Grapevine Business Menís League.
In 1932, the troop was chartered to
Grapevine City Council. Mayor E. Lowe
was executive officer and Scoutmaster.
were registered with the troop. That
7 Scouts attended summer camp ($.75 each boy.
per day) conducted 6 overnight camps and had 2
day hikes. Their total annual budget was
$102.58. Highlights of the
year included marching in formation under the
colors and Troop flag at the formal opening of
20, 1939 the Grapevine Lions Club was granted
a charter, thus beginning our long
relationship with the Lions Club, which still
generously supports the troop each year. St. Lawrence Episcopal Church held
the troop charter from January 1976 through
no known charter in 1979, which broke the long
years of tenure for Troop 7. St.
Francis Catholic Church became our chartered
organization in 1980 and continues as our
chartered organization today.
more interesting facts and individual stories,
see the webpage
Facts & Stories